Nehemiah Hour is an exploratory course where young men identify problems in our local or global society, and find biblical solutions according to the Kingdom Prep Framework for Solving Problems.
Through guidance, each young man identifies how he can use his natural talents to add value to the problem he chooses to solve. Learning is oriented toward helping students understand their purpose as they grow in practical wisdom through skills applied to their life, work, and service. Students must create a self-directed project and learn how to manage their hour of “free time.”
Each day is spent diving deeper into their project until completion. For many of our young men, this means that they have traveled to another state, created a part-time cleaning job by replacing our current cleaning staff, fixed a broken down truck, or renovated the gym.
Student-proposed Nehemiah Hour projects include:
- New gymnasium lights for the KP gym
- Student-run anger management group
- First drivers’ education program at KP
- Building and racing 2 go-karts
- Student-organized dodgeball tournament
- First-ever KP student council
- Trip to St. Benedict’s Prep in Newark, NJ
- KP Meats: Organically-raised pigs and sale of pork
- Ongoing firewood procurement and sale for area neighbors
Jerece: Success in learning through hands-on experience
Jerece has faced his share of academic challenges in the classroom but has found his stride in the Nehemiah Hour Class. This unique class has...
Brayden: Taking a chance on brotherhood
In January, 2023 Brayden M. found himself at a crossroads after being expelled from his second middle school. His turbulent history of fighting and bullying...
Dayshawn: Connecting, exploring, building
DayShawn MacDonald, a hard-working student from Kingdom Prep, led the way with fellow-students in a very unique Nehemiah Hour project. His journey began when the...
Kingdom Prep Framework for Solving Problems
- Understand self.
- Identify a worldly problem and build background knowledge.
- Establish a goal.
- Ask questions and engage resources.
- Make an action plan.
- Activate the plan.
- Seek counsel from a professional.
- Document the journey.